History

Domenico with Wilson High Students - 1958

Domenico with Wilson High Students Circa 1958.

Domenico’s is one of the first restaurants to serve pizza in California. In 1954, Domenico and Beverly Spano opened Domenico’s in the Belmont Shore area of Long Beach. With a simple menu consisting primarily of made-from-scratch pizzas and the now famous house salad, Domenico and Beverly introduced their Italian faire to the Long Beach locals.

Before long the ground sausage, ground pepperoni pizzas, and the creamy garlic salad dressing became Belmont Shore traditions. Dom and Beverly soon opened Domenico’s locations in North Long Beach, Lakewood, Hawaiian Gardens, and Santa Ana. In the mid sixties, the original Domenico’s was purchased by the Kenyon Family.

 

Domenico's in the early sixties, before the dining room was expanded.

Domenico’s in the early sixties, before the dining room was expanded.

In 2004 Rochelle Kenyon retired, and the restaurant came under its current ownership.

Proprietor Mike Rhodes continues the traditions that have become synonymous with Domenico’s. The original recipes are still being followed, and its business has grown to new heights. The menu now also includes many delicious pasta dishes including Sausage Tomato Cream, Chicken Basil Cream, Angel Hair Chicken Fresco, and much, much more.

 

 

 

 

Domenico’s Original Menu

The original menu from 1954.

The original menu from 1954.